Hi, I’m Doug Brown and I created this website to help share my passion for nature photography with others. My photographic focus is birds, but I enjoy everything from the grand stage that is landscape photography to the small stage that is macro photography.
I like to observe bird behavior, but bird photography is about capturing that behavior in a way that is pleasing to the eye. It’s about the perfect pose, good light, eye contact, the right perch, a clean background, and of course critical sharpness. Bird photography is extremely challenging, both technically and artistically.
I very much enjoy teaching, be it in the operating room, on the internet, in the classroom, or in the rainforest. When you participate in one of my photo tours, you can expect individualized attention from me in the field. I will help you take better photos. And I will help you make your photos look their very best through post-processing.
Welcome and please feel free to explore Doug Brown Photography!
Doug Brown is an internationally renowned professional bird photographer and BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year honoree. His work has been displayed at the British Natural History Museum and a number of other museums around the world. Doug's images can be found in a variety of digital and printed field guides and textbooks, including the popular iBird app for smartphones. He is also an Avian moderator on the nature and wildlife photography website BirdPhotographers.net. Doug has a particular interest in photographing birds in flight. Although he resides in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Doug travels extensively to pursue his photographic passion and leads workshops in Costa Rica, California, and New Mexico.
- Canon 1D X Mark II
- Canon 5D Mark IV
- Canon 1D X
- Canon 600 mm f/4 II
- Canon 500 mm f/4 II
- Canon 300 mm f/2.8 II
- Canon 100-400 mm II
- Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro
- Canon 24-70 mm f/4
- Canon 16-35 mm f/4
- Canon 2x III
- Canon 1.4x III
- Sigma 150-600 mm Contemporary
- Sigma 24 mm f/1.4
flashes and triggers
- Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT
- Yongnuo YN 560III flashes (for multiple flash hummingbird photography)
- Canon MT24-EX Macro Twin Lite
- Phottix Srato II wireless trigger system
- Phottix Strato TTL wireless trigger system
- BlackRapid RS-Extreme Sport Strap with Acratech Swift Clamp
- Gitzo GT3542XLS tripod legs
- Induro GBH2 gimbal head
- Wimberley II gimbal head
- Really Right Stuff BH-55 LR ballhead
- SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO CFast 2.0 Memory Cards
- Lexar 64 GB Professional 1066x CF Memory Cards
- Think Tank Airport Security V 3.0
- Think Tank Airport International V 2.0
- Tamrac Velocity 9x sling pack
- Adobe Photoshop CC
- Adobe Lightroom CC
- Neat Image Photoshop plugin
- Nik Collection